Wednesday, September 21, 2005

For Holden!

NTodd's coming, and we're gonna be busy for a few days, but here's a present for you. Courtesy of irregular Eschatonian preznit give me turkee, I offer the following:

Vermont powerpoppers The Smittens doing "Capucine."


Holden's Pony! Posted by Picasa

There are few pony-themed pop-songs, and with numbers consistently below 40 now (we know what we mean), Holden deserves all the ponies we can throw his way. Here, then, is my humble offering. (Hey, it's a lot better than "Horse With No Name!")

And in honor of NTodd, who also wants a pony, I offer a winter song: The Smittens, "I Hate Vermont."

FWIW, I also like one of Colin Clary's other bands, Colin Clary and the Magogs.

8 comments:

buzzsaw said...

Though it's not power pop, another pony themed song can be found on the upcoming Silver Jews album, Tanglewood Numbers. The song's called "Sometimes a Pony gets Depressed."

- Matt from Buzzsaw Haircut (and Dave's roomate)

ntodd said...

Don't forget Ween's "Mister, Would You Please Help My Pony?"

Anonymous said...

And don't forget Samhain's "Human Pony Girl," which is also not powerpop. Not by a long shot.

Dave said...

Also Xiu Xiu's "Sad Pony Guerilla Girl" which is sad and possibly about a girl, but does not reference a pony or a guerilla. There are also The Ponys and Pony Up!, two bands I've never heard.

Anonymous said...

there's also the band Ponies in the Surf

Anonymous said...

Some friends and I went one of the dB's reunion shows at Maxwell's this week, and there was a guy there wearing an Ass Ponys T-shirt. We all agreed that was the most obscure and forgotten band T-shirt any of us had seen in a while.

Anonymous said...

New Smittens album coming out soon, entitled "A Little Revolution." I downloaded an advance copy today and heartily recommend it. advance ordering info at the Smittens site and at the label, North of January

michael said...

it's definitely not powerpop, but I remember a song on one of Springsteen's solo album's called "Pony Boy". It was like a kid's song.