Friday, January 27, 2006

Update: Simels Weighs In

As noted below, I scratched my head a bit over Michael Berube's odd posting on the greatest American bands. But my response was nothing compared to that of my friend Steve Simels, who flatly anounces that Berube is, well, wrong.

Steve knows more about music in the latter half of the twentieth century than anyone I know; he's truly an extraordinary resource. Things you need to know about Steve: he was an early and enthusiastic supporter of Patti Smith. He saw Bruce Springsten play to 30 people in like 1973. He's a power pop fan. For many years, he was the house critic for Stereo Review (later Sound and Vision). He can write. And he's one of the most charming, self-deprecating, funny people I know. He's a truly decent human being. And we're the same height.

Oh, and he doesn't post on any blog except Eschaton, which means that I get his input in either short, off-topic posts (sorry, Atrios!) or in emails.

Without further ado, then, Steve Simels on Berube.
This is bizarre in my opinion. "Can
it be true that there were no 'great'
American bands prior to the late
1970s?"

Uh, short answer?

No.

Forgetting the Velvets (which, generation
gap or not, I think is weird),
the Raspberries,and Big Star....
Let's talk just about the 60s
(thus leaving out the Crickets, among other
worthies). Ten indisputably great American
bands of the 60s? (not counting strictly back
up bands) In no particular order.....

The MC5
The Byrds
The Buffalo Springfield
The Beach Boys
The Blues Project
The Band
Moby Grape
Jefferson Airplane
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Lovin' Spoonful

Oh, and I forgot such pre-late 70s
American bands like Love,Steely Dan,
and Tom Pettty and theHeartbreakers.
All of whom are as important
(and excellent) as the ones Berube
cites, like the Mats, Husker Du, et al.


FWIW.

4 comments:

emerson said...

He's self-deficating? I wouldn't want to admit to that myself ya know.

Thers said...

Steve Simels is a good man who should swill Chardonnay with us more often.

Play nice, Emerson.

Dave said...

I'm glad Tha Spoonful have been duly dropped. Would the Archies be a stretch here?

Anonymous said...

What about the Doors?