Friday, April 21, 2006

Neil's New Record

Lotsa buzz around these days about Neil Young's new record, excoriating Bush and calling for his impeachment. I think it's pretty clear where I stand on all this, but I was particularly interested in this generational assertion from Neil:
The real surprise for Young loyalists is that it took him so long. As the veteran rocker explains it, he was finally moved to record the album, "Living With War," in a two-week burst of creativity after his patience with Generation Next ran out.

"I was waiting for someone to come along, some young singer 18 to 22 years old, to write these songs and stand up," Young said. "I waited a long time. Then, I decided that maybe the generation that has to do this is still the '60s generation. We're still here."


I'm not convinced that's wholly fair: the article notes Pearl Jam's "World Wide Suicide" and the Dixie Chicks' "Not Ready to Make Nice," but ignores the explosive effect of Green Day's American Idiot.

But none of these are exactly 18-22 year olds, obviously. Are there young artists taking on this mantle? Or is it something which can only be accomplished whn one has a certain freedon to say Fuck You to the market?

1 comment:

ina said...

I guess I'd ask what 18-22 year olds have a piece of the market? I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands, of young folks singing/screaming Fuck You to Bush, et al, but not within my earshot. And I think we're better off not casting young folks as apolitical.