Monday, November 13, 2006

Thank You Sir, May I Have Another?

I'm astounded by the kindness and generosity of my friends. Courtesy of Eli, I received CDR of this impossible-to-get album:



As for the eponymous group itself, Bram Tchaikovsky was born Peter Bramall on November 10, 1950, in Lincolnshire, England. He started playing guitar in his teens and was already in a group by the mid-1960's. In the 1970's he formed the All-Time Heroes, with James Roper playing bass, Majo playing keyboards, and Keith Line playing drums. They recorded some demos and also landed themselves a spot supporting Man on tour, but by this time they had become Roper. They changed their name again, reverting to a shorter version of their first name, Heroes, and put out a cover version of Bruce Springsteen's "Growing Up".

Bram originally auditioned for the Motors in February, 1977, and although he failed the first audition he was soon taken on, thus ending the career of Heroes. In 1978, while Andy McMaster and Nick Garvey had the Motors idling while they wrote songs, Tchaikovsky formed Battleaxe with Micky Broadbent playing bass/guitar/keyboards and Keith Boyce (formerly of Heavy Metal) playing drums. They put out a Garvey-produced single, "Sarah Smiles", on the Criminal label before signing to Radar. "Sarah Smiles" would later appear on their first album.

Now known simply by the name of their leader (whose split from the Motors was permanent, but apparently amicable), Bram Tchaikovsky set about recording Strange Man Changed Man in November and December, 1978, and January, 1979, at the Pebble Beach and Basing St. Studios. Mike Oldfield joined them to play tubular bells on the track, "Girl Of My Dreams", which broke into the US Top 40. Co-producer Garvey provided some backing vocals and the bass on "Lady from the USA", while former Heroes sideman Roper took some of the photographs for the album cover. Peter Ker and the members of Bram Tchaikovsky co-produced the album with Garvey.


Wow. I am just speechless. Thanks, sweetheart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ladies and gents, let me introduce myself to you
I'm not really sure what it is I'm supposed to do"

That's awesome. About a year and a half ago I put the three BT albums on CD and they've been in steady rotation on the mp3 player since. Second and third albums: not quite up to the first, but good nonetheless.

Eli said...

I'm astounded by the kindness and generosity of my friends.

And resourcefulness. You left out resourcefulness.


You're very, very welcome - I'm just happy that opportunity presented itself at just the right time.

Eli said...

I suppose I should listen to it myself at some point.

(Hey, my verification word is "loanz" - please don't read anything into that)