Sunday, March 25, 2007

Jeebus!

One of my strange corners of musical interest is the musical, which horrifies Thers, but which connects me to a whole part of my life which I'm unwilling to give up. Recently, an old friend handed me a DVD of a play we did together in 1981 or so--Godspell. I had never actually seen the film, for various reasons, and was anxious to reconnect with the music. There was a road show in 2001, but they changed much of the instrumentation and some of the lyrics--obviously, useful for updating, but useless for nostalgia. They particularly fucked with my song, the torchy "Turn Back, O Man."

So the film was a treat, despite its obvious flaws. Victor Garber's Jew-fro is truly impressive, and the Chief from Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? pops up as well. But it's dated--hoo boy! is it dated!--and I confess, it made me feel a little old (even though my Godspell was close to a decade later).

Around the same time, I encountered a film I'd heard a lot about, Jesus Camp. It's a genuinely disturbing film about "Kids on Fire," an evangelical camp for children in Nebraska. Ted Haggard makes a creepily prescient appearance--"I know what you did last night. Pay me five thousand dollars and I won't tell your wife."--but even creepier is when he slams this twelve year old preacher to the wall. "Do you think people listen to you because of your content, or because you're a kid? Maybe by the time you're thirty, you'll have good content." What a dick. I don't even think he realized what he said. And it's not disturbing to me because I fear the passion of these youngsters (as the lady preacher implies); it's disturbing because emotionally abusing children is disturbing. Making them weep and convincing them that they're going to hell because they read Harry Potter is no way to raise an informed populace.

A confession: I was one of these kids, for a while. In the late 1970's, Catholicism had a brief, uncomfortable marriage with evangelism. It was called the Charismatic Movement, and both Thers's folks and mine were involved in it. He doesn't discuss it much, but I know that I saw plenty of people speaking in tongues and "slain in the spirit" in those days. I've heard prophecies and seen them come true. Every Saturday night we went for about four hours of Mass and Fellowship and I got to see my cousins and run around and act stupid. I wore "Praise the Lord" t-shirts and performed liturgical dance.I went to a national conference at Notre Dame at which a guy named Larry Tomczak asked us (all kids) to give up our secular music for Jesus. He shuddered as he spoke to us about the dark days of his life, when he played in a British Invasion-style band and bought Jimi Hendrix records! I think that was about when they lost me.

Most Catholics involved in the Charismatic Movement either returned to the fold or went Protestant--we did the first, our cousins the second. My parents later became Catholic Workers and dropped out of society to build housing for the poor--they still encountered evangelicals, but they themselves were more interested in reforming the church.

But it got me thinking: do evangelicals like Godspell? I'll bet they don't. The Christ of the Counterculture is pretty different from the Lion of Judah. Compare:

Dig the WTC starting @ 3:48!

I tried to find a clip of the kids in desert camouflage singing for Jesus, but no one put that up.

Anyway, my point here is that there are all kinds of indoctrinations we can put our kids through, some more malignant than others. This Becky Fischer woman is clear that Christians need to do this, not because it's the right thing, but because Muslims do. It's a sick kind of one-downsman-ship. But Godspell, as goofy as it undoubtedly is, strikes me as pretty benign.

8 comments:

Hecate said...

I've got warm memories of Godspell; the first ex-Mr. Hecate wooed me by singing parts of it to me. We met at a catholic Pentacostal event! I just could never really buy it though: it wasn't catholic and it wasn't evangelical. It was sort of the worst of both worlds. But that countercultural Jesus, the Jesus of my little red book, Quotations from Chairman Jesus, I still think fondly of him and his musical.

The Kenosha Kid said...

I was in a production of Godspell. At a jewish summer camp in the 70's. Go know.

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to make me cry, NYMary? /

You've included two of my most precious memories in one post; my beloved WTC and Godspell (a movie I used to watch with my aunt, who died much too soon at the age of 42). Thank you for letting me remember how much I loved both of them.

ntodd said...

I grew up listening to, and singing, Godspell, Joseph, JCS, etc. It wasn't indoctrination, just good music. Hell, my Quaker hippy parents sent me to a Lutheran church with the family down the road so I'd get exposed to something other than my faith (and I think to get some "quality time"). I went to a Quaker summer camp one year because I wanted to--well, I hated going to camp at all, but they gave me the choice of where to go at least.

dave™© said...

In high school, I saw "Godspell" I think three times in San Francisco. Several of the "professional" theatre spaces in SF used to offer deeply discounted tickets to school groups, and everyone in the Drama Club loved the show. It was done in a small theatre - the Marines Memorial - and at one performance, we were up in the first couple of rows.

Nobody really dwelled on the "religious" aspects of it back then. Of course, we didn't really even consider "Jesus Christ Superstar" a "religious" production either - IIRC, both "Superstar" and "Godspell" weren't exactly welcomed with open arms by the religious establishment then.

Anyway, "Turn Back O Man" was always a showstopper. Quite impressed to hear you did it!

refinnej said...

God, I haven't seen Godspell in years :) The version I remember is the one with that guy from Deep Purple. I still remember when the church we went to started playing folk music during the 10:00 mass. It had to be in the early 70's. That's about when Grandpa started going to the Polish church because they still had a Latin mass and no "filthy hippies being disrespectful on the altar."

Actually there's not much to remember about when Mom and Dad dabbled in the Charismatic Movement. We only went to masses a few times that I can recall, and I remember being more interested in the fact that we didn't have to sit still the whole time than anything else. Thers probaly has different memories than I do though.

Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I saw Larry Tomczak in 1975 at a Jesus Rally in PA. I cut my hair sold my guitars and left the Catholic Church.Spent thirty years in charismania! Long story short, 3 years ago, returned to Catholicism, love Jesus in the Eucharist .To God be the glory

NYMary said...

Hmmm. Then why are you reading music blogs? We didn't have those then, but it strikes me as just the sort of thing Tomczak would have us give up.

Catholics tend to be a lot more indulgent toward art.