Friday, June 26, 2009

RIP Sky Saxon

I think we would be remiss here at PowerPop to fail to acknowledge the passing of fellow astral traveler Sky Saxon yesterday. Personally, my introduction to the work of the Seeds came from Lenny Kaye's groundbreaking compilation of 60's punk/psych Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era: 1965-1968 which included the band's best known tune Pushin' Too Hard. I found my copy of Nuggets in a cutout bin when I was 18 and as a punk rocker in 1978 it literally blew my mind. Not only because of all the great music contained within the grooves of those two records, but also because it showed me that the punk/outsider ethos of rock and roll is truly universal and transcends all generations. Anyway, here's the Seeds' appearance in 1968's Psych Out which included the performances of Jack Nicholson, Susan Strasberg, Bruce Dern and Dean Stockwell.

BTW, you can't have flower power without the Seeds! Happy weekend!




Psych Out!

6 comments:

The Phantom Creep said...

A true original.

Thanks for putting this up...

NYMary said...

Clearly, I need to see this movie.

RIP, Sky.

David said...

In an alternative universe, the radios are all blaring the Seeds, and somewhere down at the left of the dial, a college radio station is playing "Billie Jean."

steve simels said...

If memory serves, Psych-Out is actually directed by the great Richard Rush, who later did the truly amazing THE STUNT MAN, with Peter O'Toole.

An interesting character....

korralhex said...

I put a link in my blog,good job,thanks
http://whenyoufindout.blogspot.com/

Kid Charlemagne said...

Gracias Amigo!