Monday, October 05, 2009

Chansons de Les Garcons de la Plage

And speaking as we were last week of covers of Beach Boys/Brian Wilson songs -- or, more to the point, the paucity of really good ones -- a recent and very lovely example of same popped into my head the other day, and frankly I'm a tad embarrassed that it had slipped my mind previously.

From 2006, and their quite wonderful album of 60s covers, please enjoy Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs (aka Sid and Susie) and their pleasantly reverent take on the Beach Boys' gorgeous B-side "The Warmth of the Sun."





I should add that our pal Sal Nunziato, proprietor of the incomparable Burning Wood blog, who did business on this topic last week as well, has forwarded this flavorsome live version by the equally incomparable Vince Gill.

7 comments:

Ken J said...

Wow, I did not realize the Vince Gill version was live until the end. Now THAT is impressive.

Elroy said...

Anyone else having problems with the divshare links this morning?

Elroy said...

Never mind,appears to be working!

Both versions of this classic are really nice, thanks Steve. I have both the Sid and Susie albums and play them a lot.

steve simels said...

Gill is as they say a musician's musician.

Terry Flamm said...

I enjoyed the two Sid and Susie CDs as well as their live show recently in Chicago.

Sal Nunziato said...

Did anyone mention "Our Car Club" by Tommy Keene?

Dave said...

I think I would have liked this much more if I hadn't heard the BB version. Or the Vince Gill cover. Compared to them, I find this inert and lugubrious, if well-intentioned.