Monday, May 16, 2011

Pure Pop for Then People

In case you hadn't heard, there's a new Hollies box set just out. It's called (accurately if not imagintively) the Clarke, Hicks & Nash Years, and it's apparently got every note they recorded between 1963 and the end of 1968, when Graham Nash departed to join you know who.



Hollies purists can debate whether the right mixes (stereo vs. mono) of various individual tracks were used (according to what I've read on the intertubes, some of the decisions have struck fans as arbitrary). But given that the consensus also seems to be that the remastering is really good, and given the bargain price -- six discs for 35 bucks -- I think the set is probably worth an investment, even if, like me, you've already shelled out for previous Hollies boxes.

Oh -- and have I mentioned it includes a heretofore unreleased live show from May 24, 1968? In stereo? With Graham?

Well, it does. And from it, here's the still fresh as paint "Carrie Anne..."



...sounding about as glorious as you could hope. Paul McCartney and Mickey Dolenz were in the audience, by the way.

[h/t Sal Nunziato]

6 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

Great minds...except I have it at $20. Did I not do the math right?

Brooklyn Girl said...

The screaming girls kill me.

And damn, these guys could sing.

steve simels said...

It's also rather amazing they were able to use a string section onstage in 1968. Even if it's taped -- that kind of thing was really hard to do back then....

Upsidasium said...

Wow, that's even good on my laptop speakers.

Anonymous said...

the fidelity is amazing. the drummer really shows his stuff in the final crashes. good god, these guys were hip.

AP

Jonnie said...

I saw The Hollies in 1965, they were supporting The Rolling Stones at The Caird Hall in Scotland. That was the first "rock concert" I ever attended and of course, I've never been the same since...I was always a fan of Bobby Elliott's tight drumming. There were lots of screaming girls, and Graham Nash made a comment about people standing on the seats! All those years ago.