Monday, September 02, 2013

Happy Labor Day (Special Occupy Less Than Zero Edition)

And in honor of the occasion, from 1973 please enjoy veteran Brit folk-rockers The Strawbs and their militant classic "Part of the Union." Still probably the most radical pro-labor anthem ever to crack the Top 10 anywhere in the world.




I would have loved to dedicate the song to a certain 2008 presidential candidate who vowed to "walk the picket lines" in solidarity with workers around the country, but I haven't seen much of that guy lately.

I wonder what ever happened to him?

4 comments:

Dave said...

I love this song with a passion. I was in London when this was released and had the opportunity to hear large groups sing along with the song. Soul-stirring stuff.

senormedia said...

"I wonder what ever happened to him? "

They showed him the other
Dealey Plaza films.

the corn poppy said...

You know this was an anti-union song, right?

Lyle Hopwood said...

I always hated the Strawbs for this nasty bit of sarcasm.

It's the modern (or rather slightly dated) version of "Harry Pollit was a Bolshie" - you can claim you own the narrative, but the original intention is anti-union.