Wednesday, September 02, 2015

The Present Day Folk-Rocker Refuses to Die

Had a wonderful time in the studio last night -- although "Letter From Liverpool" is still not completely finished -- but as we were listening to a playback somebody mentioned drummer/producers and the great Butch Vig and this song instantly came to mind. For obvious reasons.




Vig and one of the other guys in Fire Town went on to fame and fortune in Garbage, of course, but this 1987 anthem has always been one of my favorites. As I often say, a well-played electric twelve-string guitar is perhaps the most beautifully occuring sound in nature.

6 comments:

DeepKarma said...

That song is friggin' gorgeous...thanks for the share.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I went to high school with one of the guys from Firetown....

pete said...

big like

Anna said...

Nice tune! I remember getting a promo of a band called Spooner (with Butch) that was on heavy rotation for a while...and then being kinda surprised to see his name on "Nevermind". Completely missed Fire Town, though. (And, truth be told, I was never much of a Garbage fan.)

And I'm going through the stacks when I get home tonight to dig out that Spooner album.

Anna said...

The Spooner album was "The Fugitive Dance" (1990), and even though the 12-string isn't electric, I always loved the album opener, "Sleep Out Under The Stars".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvWk1u-ri90

Yah Shure said...

A belated thanks for the Fire Town heads-up. Buying 'Heart Of The Heart Country' immediately became the most important mission in life upon reading your rave write-up in the magazine formerly known as 'The Magazine Formerly Known As...' My socks are still knocked off.

"Carry The Torch" still ranks up there at the top with "Mr. Tambourine Man," "Give Your Mind Wings" (Ides Of March), Lindsey Buckingham's "Countdown" and other shimmering beauties in my personal Song Intro Ear Candy Hall Of Fame.