Monday, June 13, 2016

My New Favorite Band (An Occasional Series) : Special Baby, That is Rock 'n' Roll! Edition

From late 2015, please enjoy the pride of Denton, TX -- The Speedlights -- and the lead-off track from their quite fabulous eponymous EP "I'm Still Waiting."




As you can hear, these guys are mining the vein that includes Raspberries-style power pop, early New Wave and punk, and -- most specifically, I think -- the Mod Revival bands of the late '70s. However you describe it, however, their music is just infectious as hell, and what I really like about the band is that -- to paraphrase Waylon Jennings -- these guys couldn't be slick if you poured a can of motor oil down their throat.


Great stuff, in other words.

You can -- and should -- stream/download/buy a physical copy of the CD over at the link HERE.

You're welcome.

6 comments:

Ken J Xenozar said...

You are such a sucker for the Rickenbacker. LOL. Not bad. Doesn't really grab me.

Anonymous said...

First impression: Inadequate. Impotent. Is it in yet?

VR - gimme some danger

Allan Rosenberg said...

I think it's the vocals. But I think they have potential!

Captain Al

Dwayne Ray said...

The drummer sings 'Amy (Tonight)' which is the one that's most Raspberries sounding if y'all want to to check that one out.

https://thespeedlights.bandcamp.com/track/amy-tonight

Bad Penny said...

Yes, upbeat, infectious in a happy-go-lucky, Cheap Trick way. Love the energy of those vocals, with that music.

Anonymous said...

Works for me.