Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Your Tuesday Moment of Self-Indulgence: Special Four Strings Good! Edition

Okay, the short version.

A few months ago, two significant others of my old garage band chums The Weasels were coming back from picking up a pizza when they noticed a bass guitar -- specifically, a Fender Precision Lyte (a model I used to own back in the 90s, in fact) -- in a trash can in their neighborhood. It was a mess, but they were intrigued enough to bring it back to the Weasels home studio and try it out. Turned out it was, however unsightly, totally playable and its electronics intact.

I heard the story, and a few weeks later I was at the Keuka Kafe, my local watering hole down the street from a certain Shady Dame's home in Forest Hills. BTW, if you're in the neighborhood stop by and tell 'em I sent you.


But I digress.

Anyway, this particular afternoon, I struck up a conversation with a young guy having lunch at the bar who, as it turned out, was a guitar tech who specialized in restoring instruments like the aforementioned Fender Precision Lyte, so it seemed serendipity dictated I give him the job of bringing new life to our trash can bass.

Cut to last week, when said job was finished. Here's how it went.


And here's me, looking frighteningly like Groucho Marx, checking it out.


Bottom line: The bass now looks great and plays great.

And a big PowerPop No-Prize to Gabe Mera, who did the restoration. I can't recommend his work highly enough; if you have a similar job for him, contact him here.

5 comments:

Jai Guru Dave said...

Kudos to Gabe, and to you Steve! The bass will be there for you to play on the 25th, when we convene for the next Weaselfest.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the Q-Boro.

Billy B said...

Too cool, Steverino.

Dude did a bang-up job restoring the axe.

Jai Guru Dave said...

And kudos to my wife, who dumpster-dived to rescue the bass!! Thanks honey!

buzzbabyjesus said...

Sweet looking instrument. My favorite kind of story. Perfectly good instrument left for dead finds a good home. I have an '80's japanese strat found in the trunk of a junked car. All it needed was love.