Thursday, February 15, 2018

Mister, You're a Better Man Than I

From 2012, and an episode of Live From Daryl's House, please enjoy the charming host and the great Nick Lowe in a quite gorgeous performance of Nick's greatest hit.



Pretty remarkable (and apparently the rest of the show isn't archived for some reason, which is too bad.)

In any event, has anybody else noticed that as Nick has aged he's started to look more and more like one of those expat 30s actors who showed up in Hollywood epics about the British in India? Seriously -- I can easily imagine him hanging out with the likes of C. Aubrey Smith.

9 comments:

Ken J Xenozar said...

Thanks for posting Steve. This is one of my favorite versions of my favorite pop songs. I love the new urgency and angles that Daryl Hall and T-Bone bring to it. You can see they are loving playing it. And Nick Lowe is brilliant and classy, as usual.

I love playing this myself on guitar. The only problem is it really requires a trio like these three to nail the chorus harmonies.

Anonymous said...

nice post. I'm reading the CCR book by Hank Bordovich (sp?) and your reviews are cited three times. Awright!!

steve simels said...

I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up.

FD13NYC said...

This was a very good LFDH episode.

Anonymous said...

Hello all...no, please remain seated,

Boy, that's a feel-good 4 minutes right there.

Rgeards,
RichD

Anonymous said...

Don’t forget Nick co-composed the song with Ian Gomm.

Captain Al

MJConroy said...

I just got (Valentine's Day present from my wife!) the Brinsley Schwarz album, "It's All Over Now" which has the first recording of "Cruel to be Kind". You can hear it here: https://megadodo.bandcamp.com/album/its-all-over-now

Billy B said...

Switchboard Susan is my favorite tune from Nick.

danny1959 said...

They turned it into a soul song.